Today I sent out one of my paintings into the wide world for the first time. A commission for a friend. For this, I felt the need to put my name to the work and sign it – something I have never done before – something that necessitated a signature.
Earlier this year I played with some initial signature designs. One used my Spanish surname Hards Vicente as a fairly unique identifier. After some advice, I set myself some goals for my signature to meet, from which I developed a signature which incorporated the Basque lauburu. I liked this, but to make it simpler for me to paint, I decided to take out the lauburu and chose to use an undecorated HARDS VICENTE as my signature.
Here is my oil painting that I had framed in March, now adorned with my new signature…
And a close-up:
I have now also signed this painting of Tobermory that I did in November.
I am pleased with how the signature turned out. It looks decent, is identifiable and has a little character too I’d say.